One thing I love about baking is that it’s something I do with my children and in particular my 6 year old Afton who is quickly becoming a master of the baked arts. Sometimes I pull out a few books and let her pick what she wants to make which was how this chocolate bundt cake with bittersweet chocolate glaze came about. It’s such a pretty cake, and on a Sunday afternoon there’s nothing I like better than spending time with my people and churning out delicious sweets. This one is from my Martha Stewart Cakes book that has been a lot of fun to bake from. I followed her recipe pretty closely, just increased quantities a little on the ganache glaze and in the future, I might add mini chocolate chips (1.5 cups) to the cake batter, because: obvious. It was a really flavorful chocolatey cake though, and all the ingredients are on hand which makes it an easy cake when you need to come up with something quickly. My cutest critic Afton was very pleased with the result and I’m sure you will be too!
For the Cake:
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Glaze:
5 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped (if you don’t have fancy chocolate, chocolate chips will work fine)
2/3 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons butter
- Pre-heat oven to 325 and prepare a bundt pan by spraying with baking spray or butter then tap in flour to coat.
- Mix your milk and sour cream until combined. In a stand mixer or large bowl with a hand mixer whip up the butter and sugar until light and fluffy about 3-5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time mixing well after each. Add vanilla to your butter/sugar/egg mixture.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt and mix together. with your mixer on low alternate adding your dry ingredients and the sour cream/milk mixture in batches beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined (if using add chocolate chips last). Batter will be thick. Turn it into your bundt pan and even out the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until a toothpick in the center comes out completely clean. Let cool in the pan 5 minutes then put on a cooling rack while you make your glaze.
- To make the glaze, heat the cream in a medium saucepan until it just barely starts to boil then take it off the heat and put in your chopped chocolate. Wait 2-3 minutes then add your butter and whisk until smooth. If for any reason you still have chocolate chunks heat in the microwave or stove on low until you can whisk it completely smooth. Let it sit a good 10 minutes or so in order to get a little thicker glaze then pour over the top of your cake and serve.
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart Cakes cookbook